Friday, April 25, 2014

10 reasons why "10 reasons" things are so not cool

We've all seen them. You know, the --  "20 things to do in your 20's"... "10 reasons you're still single"... "15 ways to get a guy to like you". I think we can all agree that these are kind of annoying. But somehow or another we find ourselves lured in and totally hooked. 

It's like- OMG- I'm so bored, might as well find out why I'm single. Even though it really didn't cross my mind until I saw this article. And then after I read it- I feel completely awful and alone. Pft. WHY?! 10, 15, 20.. we can count. And the 99 one's? Those get me worried. Got 99 problems but don't need a list of 99 ways to solve them. 


These might be a fun way to pass time, but they are also bogus. Life isn't about lists. It's just not. And I'm aware that I sound a bit pessimistic, but hear me out! (It gets more heartsy fartsy).


Sometimes we believe what they say. And sometimes, they're really unrealistic. I was browsing the other day and found an article with a title like, "10 reasons why fat girls don't deserve love". Not only is that sick and twisted, it's also hurtful. 


No- they all aren't like this. But most of them are geared towards teaching women something they need to do or not do to improve themselves. I'm not above self-improvement, but I can take care of myself. Make my own mistakes. Live my own life. And I can certainly do it without the help of these oh, so popular numbered lists. 


Want an idea of 20 things to do in your 20's? I can wrap that up with one: spend your 20's the way you were always meant to, however the hell you want. 


Want to know why you're still single? Because you have standards.


Want to know how to get a guy to like you? Be yourself. 


And for the record, every girl deserves to be loved by someone who makes her heart happy. Too bad the author of that article will only experience superficial lust. 


We are so awesome. But it's so easy to get down on ourselves. I contribute a lot of that to the things we read on the internet. It can make us feel really bad about what we haven't done or what we won't ever be capable of doing. These lists put ideas in our head of things we need to be. Things we need to be in order to be worth love/friendship/life. In reality, the people who read these articles are perfectly perfect the way they imperfectly aren't. 


Media is arguably the biggest influence of our generation. It makes us, shapes us, and guides us. Doesn't have to, though. 


What happened to the free spirit of the 90's? When personal "flare" was okay. When we weren't consumed by text messages and e-mails and articles like these. When a woman was beautiful because she had a brain. Times change, I get it. But it doesn't mean we have to mold our beautiful selves to societal standards. In fact, it's an opportunity to express individuality without a step by step outline. How to's are overrated. 


When we look at a newborn, we typically smile. Innocent, fragile, and a completely clean slate. But we, too, were once newborns. We started off that way. And we can build that slate however we choose. And we can clean it as much as we want to. 


So, friends, I just want you to know that you're ravishing. And you don't need 10 reasons why. 








No comments:

Post a Comment